[support] Multisite Paths

Kenneth Jacker khj at be.cs.appstate.edu
Mon Dec 17 01:33:32 UTC 2012

Thanks, Richard, for your prompt reply.

  rd> I think you misunderstand what multi-site does.

Apparently!

  rd> Your directory sites/example.com is the directory that Drupal will
  rd> look for for site specific data (modules, themes, etc), in
  rd> addition to sites/all for the information for all sites, and the
  rd> module and themes directories for core files.

Overall, that has been my understanding:  sites/mysite, all and core.

  rd> Multi-site does NOT make the sites/example.com the "Document Root"
  rd> for the web server, if it did the the site could not access core
  rd> or all sites files.

Good point.

  khj>    <a href="sites/example.com/images/jim.jpg">Jim</a>

So this is correct, yes?

  khj> Going to the page and clicking on the "Jim" link, does display the
  khj> image correctly.  However, the URL in my browser shows this:
  khj>
  khj>    http://example.com/sites/example.com/images/jim.jpg

But why the above in the browser "URL bar"?

  khj>     <a href="images/jim.jpg">Jim</a>

Here I *am* assuming a "htdoc root" at example.com ... wrong!

I see now why this didn't work (and displayed an error message) ...
"images" refers to a sub-dir directly under the "Document Root"
directory.  Not where example.com has its JPEGs.

If I can just get the browser URL right, I'll be good to go!

Thanks for helping me with this,

  -Kenneth