[support] phc obfuscate / drupal 7

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 25 16:08:11 UTC 2012

What stops people from stealing or killing? Easy - nothing, except the
law (and morals).

I use to work in the hosting business. What you are basically describing
amounts to "stealing trade secrets" and is prosecutable under the
Economic Espionage Act. As mater of fact it's one of those acts that
gives the U.S. Attorney General some huge, sweeping power. Fines can be
up to $500,000 for an individual and $5,000,000 for a corporation.
Having said that, when people are hired on at a reputable hosting
provider, they are made very aware of it and even sign agreements.

So the penalties are in some cases worst than murder. That's a pretty
good protection. Mainly just stick with a reputable host.

But you are using Drupal, which is open source, meaning the source code
(minus any custom modules) is available.

There are always ways to reverse engineer code, so even obfuscating the
code isn't a real protection.

Another consideration. Drupal does come out with security releases.
Compiling the source code takes extra time and means it will take longer
to update your site. I would rather be able to update my code quickly to
protect my customers then worry about someone taking the source code.

As far as HipHop, some people have had success and some not. It depends
on the modules and custom code you use. For research on this, I suggest
Google.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net