[support] Big problem with Drual 7.12 drush up

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Feb 2 22:36:15 UTC 2012

Hi all.
  I fresh installed Fedora 16 on a hd  here at home. There is no drush
for Fedora 16 so followed the instructions for manual install Drupal
7.21 install.
Worked ok. Dev and test are working.

I drush up 'd up my Ubuntu  drupal 7.10 dev and test installs and all
worked well. Nothing had changed, both now 7.12 core.

I went to our server which is virtually identical to my ubuntu installs
and via ssh drush up the development site then the live site and    --
all hell broke loose.
Both sites wrecked.
I get a server error for both.

With cpanel I uploaded a small index.html to each so it appears in the
drupal install above the index.php in the file list and called that with
www.site.com/index.html.
The page displays so there server is working.
So I copied the drupal-7.10.tar.gz  file to both and unzipped, copied
the sites folder from the previously working sites to the 710 installs
and it sort of works, -- theme is crapo but it worked.

It seems that drush failed to do the update correctly. This is worrying
as we rely on drush and it has not failed before this.

Will it be ok if I copy the drupal-7.12.tar.gz to the server. Extract
that and copy the original working /sites folder to the new install?
Are there any gotchas in this method.

Would it be better to rename the sites folder, delete the drupal
install, copy the drupal 7.12 extraction files minus the /sites folder
over to the working directory,  rename the xxsites folder to /sites so
the install picks it all up.
Are there any gotchas in this method? Would it be better to go thru the
install procedure and point it to the working database.

I caught a glimpse of a post that said to avoid 7.12 and revert to 7.11
but there is no 7.11 only 7.10 so I felt this post to be inaccurate.

Does anyone have info on how to fix this problem please.
Thanks
Roger