[support] Fwd: Omega theme grid system

Anthony tony at tony-mac.com
Fri Feb 10 18:58:44 UTC 2012

fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Stewart <stewart at mediadoneright.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [support] Omega theme grid system
To: Anthony <tony at tony-mac.com>

idk, IMO the docs are amazing for free by volunteers.  read about grids.
there's a reason 960 is the norm,  (has to do with the math).

My first reply had a sentence that I still feel is key to your problem:
Omega uses media queries -- to define a flexible grid width that is
proportional to 960.  the @wide media query can be used to define the
larger size ... which is actually larger than 1024 -- and will scale down
as needed.

worth your time.  this guy is the inventor of responsive:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/

Ethan Marcotte has an amazing chapter Dan Cedarholms book:
http://simplebits.com/notebook/2009/07/01/handcraftedcss/ -- that explains
the essence of responsive in detail.  Really good stuff.

there are websites that allow you to calculate grids based on widths and
columns, etc.  they'll spit out the fundamental css you'll need.

here's one: http://www.gridsystemgenerator.com

good luck!