[support] Determine if comments have replies

Cameron B. Prince cplists at teslauniverse.com
Fri Feb 17 05:44:44 UTC 2012

After much trial and error (and temptation to edit comments.module), I was
able to figure out how to determine if comments have replies without
additional queries. Since the theme_preprocess_comment function runs per
comment and does not have access to the entire array of comments, the code
must be placed in theme_preprocess_node as follows:

function theme_preprocess_node(&$vars) {
  $keys = array_keys($vars['elements']['comments']['comments']);
  foreach ($keys as $k) {
    if (!is_numeric($k)) {
      continue;
    }
    $pid = $vars['elements']['comments']['comments'][$k]['#comment']->pid;

$vars['elements']['comments']['comments'][$pid]['#comment']->has_children =
!empty($pid);
    $last = $k;
  }
  $vars['elements']['comments']['comments'][$last]['#comment']->last = TRUE;
}

The last line before closing the function adds an additional flag ³last² to
the comments array on the final comment in the array.

Cameron