[support] How can I collapse the *sidebar first* region when the browser width is less than 900 pixels wide?

John Mitchell mitchelljj98 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:25:54 UTC 2012

How can I collapse the *sidebar first* region when the browser width is
less than 900 pixels wide?

Within the theme's .info file the following is set:
settings[sidebar_first_width] = 4
How can I programatically change the above to 0 so that the *sidebar first*
region does not take up any space within the page when the containing
browser wide is less than 900 pixels wide?

One possible approach is to utilize the media query at the bottom of the
themes associated .css file so that the *sidebar first* region is collapsed
when less than 900 pixels based on the following link:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/
but I am not sure if this is the best approach or what css to put in that
would do this as an example from the above link:
@media screen and (max-device-width: 480px) {
  .column {
    float: none;
  }