[support] Keeping dev and live site in sync

Benj Fredrick benj.fredrick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:44:28 UTC 2012

this is an age-old drupal question, and there are many different solutions.
The main problem is that site configuration is stored in the db alongside
site content.

Option A:
Use modules like Features <http://drupal.org/project/features> and
Strongarm<http://drupal.org/project/strongarm>to get as much of your
configuration into code as possible. This can then
be versioned and pushed to new servers without touching the db.

Option B:
Use something like Backup and
Migrate<http://drupal.org/project/backup_migrate>to only overwrite
certain tables.

Option C:
Use Pantheon hosting and their slick UI tools. ;)

There are probably other options I haven't thought of. Option A is my
personal preference. I only pull the db backwards from live -> dev. Code
obviously goes the other direction. A custom module with
hook_update_N<http://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/developer--hooks--install.php/function/hook_update_N/6>()
functions can help a lot.

-Benj (benjf)