[support] Keeping dev and live site in sync

Anthony tony at tony-mac.com
Thu Jan 26 21:48:03 UTC 2012

So you were happy with  Camtasia? How much does it cost? And compare to
Adobe's product, whose name I forgot.
Sort of off topic so maybe reply privately to me.
Thanks Tony

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Sohodojo Jim <salmons at sohodojo.com> wrote:

> [Jim notes:] For those jumping into the middle of this on-going thread, our
> comments are in reference to a webcast found here:
> http://www.sohodojo.biz/sqlyog.
>

> > Jim:
> > Thanks, I think I've got your procedure down. Makes sense. One thing you
> > say in the video is that while you are developing, you are regularly
> > updating changes to your live server. I think you mean to your -dev db,
> > don't you? That way you don't put your ongoing work into the public
> > server until end of day when you've got everything working.
> >

> [Jim replies:]
> That sounds about right... I'll have to give a closer listen and look to
> the
> video as I was under some time pressure to get it into the contest and,
> honestly, it was a "wing-it" (and my first Camtasia) production.
>
> More generally, your summary statement is spot on -- that the basic idea is
> to always grab a start-of-day copy of the database from the live server --
> and this copy serves, first, as your back-up of the remote/live server and
> second, it is the 'seed' for your my-work-today local copy of the database.
>
> A couple things this helps you do so as not to be your own worst enemy are:
>
> 1. You have that today-fresh back-up of your live DB.
>
> 2. No matter how close together you _think_ your dev and live sites are
> DB-wise,
>    don't assume. Because sure enough, there will be days where that
> assumption
>    is not as good as you think and you end up in an "Oops!" moment.
>
> 3. By working against the latest version of your live data, you
> _significantly_
>    reduce the delta between your development version and your live version.
>    This is a _big_ deal when you do end-of-day re-synchronization. You will
>    be looking at a limited set of table/record differences that are limited
>    to only several hours of activity. Any DB copy older than that and you
> can
>    lose yourself in the mucky-muck of trying to figure out record-wise
> diffs
>    as either 'important', 'not sure', 'toss-able'.
>
> > Just a suggestion: The diagrams with arrows and sequence numbers are very
> > helpful. It would be very helpful, in your explanation if you'd give a
> > quick overview. Like, for example: "What I do is make changes working
> > with a WAMP local version where the db is the same name as the public
> > version. Then, I keep 2 backups so that I have a recent public version
> > that isn't touched, and a version that is saved from the previous day's
> > work."
>
> [Jim replies:]
> Good idea. In fact, since this was a PowerPoint slide show that I ran
> concurrently with the 'live action' stuff for the webcast capture, I can
> easily do static slide images and use them for a text-based annotation of
> the webcast.

> [...]

*Anthony Stefan Maciejowski*

*tony maciejowski** | analyst/programmer  | websites |
www.tony-mac.com<t_maciejowski at hotmail.com>
*

*Twitter: anntosh* | *Cell: 323.899.6206* | *Linked-In:* *Anthony
Maciejowski*

 “Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the
certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.”

--- Vaclav Havel