[support] D7 website timing out - only in Chrome? (Beer or M&M's prize)

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 21 14:25:06 UTC 2012

My guess is browser caching is making you think it's only a Chrome
problem. I just had it timeout on Firefox.

One problem:

http://www.chicago3media.com/sites/all/libraries/mediaelement/build/mediaelement-and-player.min.js?v=2.1.6

That's returning a 404 (so Drupal is having to fire up again to serve
the 404).

But the big problem appears to be hosting. I just had it take 27.06s to
download a 3.3kb CSS file from the site. That's a totally static file
and has nothing to do with Drupal.

I noticed that the site is on BlueHost. I would go down to the logs
section of the control panel and check the CPU Throttling log for one.
See if the account has been throttled a lot. Hosts like BlueHost, which
offer "unlimited bandwidth", also don't really do that. Instead when you
start using too much bandwidth they throttle that down. On top of that
you get a lot of people parked on a single server all pushing out a
bunch of files at once. They can offer "unlimited bandwidth", meaning
they will let you transfer out as much data as you want. Where they get
you is how fast that data will come out.

Going further on that, your front page is over 22mb in size (one 8.6mb
video and one 13mb video). The player is automatically loading the
videos. That is killing your site and will cause a shared hosting
company to throttle your bandwidth down. To fix you got a few choices:

- Change to a different player that doesn't preload the video. Players
like Kaltura actually use a screenshot and metadata so that the video
player doesn't have to download the media file and instead just displays
that until play is clicked.

- Drop the players all together on the front page. Go with screen shots
and when they click it takes them to the node with the player.

- Get the static stuff off of that server. Install the CDN module and
use a push CDN like VoxCAST (http://www.voxel.net/universal-transfer).
It's about the next best route in terms of cost savings.

Anyone of those would help out a lot, but the best route is to go with
the CDN, especially with them hosting videos. The other option is to
totally move to a 3rd party video solution like the Kaltura platorm.
That does cost (unless you got a dedicated server and know your way
around one and can setup Kaltura CE), but they have a module that
integrates very nice with Drupal.

 From a developer standpoint, something I always tell clients is that if
they want shared hosting, then I won't be responsible for site delivery
times and speeds. Shared hosting is just to unpredictable in nature. I
setup their site on my own server (a Linode VPS) and show them that the
Drupal side of things put out the page at a very good speed and on
shared hosting, I have no control over it.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net