[support] emails not being sent by drupal 7

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 27 13:38:47 UTC 2012

Windows doesn't have a mail server on it by default, so you need to
point SMTP to a machine that has the server software to send mail (ie:
sendmail).

Here's the problem, especially with local testing. Most mail servers
won't let you send mail through them without authentication. If you are
running a mail server that allows mail to be sent without
authentication, then you can plan on being blacklisted by most email
providers within a couple of months because you are running a spammers
heaven.

So you only have a couple of routes around this. The first is to have
whatever IP addresses you are connecting to the SMTP server from to be
white listed so they don't need to authenticate. Your hosting provider
might set this up for you, but many won't (fear of arbitrary addresses
that can be used to connect in and send spam).

The best and much simpler route it to use the SMTP module:

http://drupal.org/project/smtp

No php.ini changes. Instead just upload it, activate it and setup the
server settings in the module configuration screen. You can use any mail
server you have POP/SMTP access to, including the one from your ISP.
That's it.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net