[support] Create and manage content directly from the database.

Wipe_Out wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 7 16:46:00 UTC 2012

Hi Dave and Ernie,

Maybe a bit more explanation will help..

We have a home baked MS access billing application that we use to generate
and manage the bookings and bill based on those bookings.. The
administration in managing all the bookings is getting to be too much so we
want our customers to be able to manage and edit their bookings through our
website..

This needs to be a two way process so bookings can still be managed through
the MS Access side but can also be managed through the web interface..

It seemed easiest to create a new content type with all the required fields
and references through Drupal and then get MS access to manage the same
data tables in the mysql database.. The would mean creating, updating and
deleting bookings nodes directly in the database from MS access..

>From your comments it sounds like you are saying that its not as straight
forward as that to manage Drupal's data.. I thought that by simply updating
the "node" table along with all the "field" and "revision" tables that we
could add or edit booking nodes from the backend while durpal managed it
from the front..

Is this not the case??

@Dave - Fonena looks interesting and might solve the next part of the
system I will be trying to create which is to show the users their billing
data that is being generated by the MS Access application, obviously here a
report/view is all that's needed because they don't need the ability to
change the data..

Thanks..