[support] [SUPPORT] Drupal experience of one author (not me).

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 25 20:36:48 UTC 2012

That article is comparing apples to oranges. Download Yii and all you
got is a framework. You actually have to code what you want it to do. Of
course you then code it to do what you want and just what you want. You
don't even have to worry about plugins/modules if you don't want to -
just put all the features in the code.

Now take Drupal. Any one can pretty much install it, especially with
shared hosting installers like Fantastico. With it and the contributed
modules out there, you can pretty much make any site you want, rather it
being a YouTube clone or the next social networking site. You can do
this without touching any code if you want.

Basically if someone wanting a site has the talent and money, then
always go for a custom solution. Hell, even better - no framework at
all. Do it all from scratch. The thing is most people don't have that
kind of money or time and talent around, so they will go with a prebuilt
solution instead.

(Think of it as buying a house. I can buy one already built but it won't
have everything I want or be as efficient, or I can design and build my
own from scratch. The later takes a lot more time and costs a lot more
money.)

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net