[support] Please help Modal Forms

Sun Mar 11 18:46:18 UTC 2012

On 3/11/12 2:08 PM, Tony MAC wrote:
> Isn't one always supposed to create a personal instance of a theme?
> Sorry maybe an ignorant question from a newbie.
> Tony
>

> tony mac is building web sites.

Many themes, like Bartik or Garland, are usable "out of the box" for a
basic site, with simple customizations (like changing the logo) through
the control panel. IF you are just doing this, then there is no need to
create a personal instance. If you need to customize it, then you should
create a sub-theme (preferred) or personal copy under a new name to
edit. Note that if you just rename a theme, you should probably still
keep the original theme around (even if disabled) so that Drupal can
check for updates for you to incorporate into your private version. (One
advantage of sub-themes is that unless the change affects a piece that
you changed, the updates to the base theme are reflected automatically
into your sub-theme.

Other themes, like Fusion, Omega, and Zen, are designed as base themes,
with the intent that you will build a sub-theme off of them and not be
used directly, the theme "out of the box" isn't very appealing, but the
theme provides lots of good hooks to add your design to.

--
Richard Damon