[support] Git and Multisite

Fahri Reza dozymoe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 23:05:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 06:46 -0700, Ms. Nancy Wichmann wrote:
> I'm going to guess that I know the answer already.
>
> I have a friend who wants to collaborate on a pro-bono site I am
> developing. So I thought of creating a repository on GitHub to make it
> easier. But I do all my development in a true multisite (single code
> base). So, for example, sites/all/modules contains every module that
> any of my sites uses. This is far more than this particular site
> uses.
>
> If I build a repository, is it not going to contain all those modules
> (themes, images, etc) even though they are not needed for this site?
> Do I need to split it off to a single site with only the modules
> (etc.) that are needed for that one site?
>
> I think building and maintaining a .gitignore file would be far more
> annoying than splitting the site.

You could use a git branch that you and your friend agreed to as the
assumed master branch.
For example collab1 branch that contains only the needed modules.
You could start the branch from first commit, and build the content
using git cherry-pick.

Maybe add another collab1-dev branch or something.

fireh.