[support] Physical File Encryption

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Fri Mar 30 05:36:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

I don't know of anything, but you could use fuse to mount an encrypted filesystem and point your upload directory to that, or since d7 now supports php file streams, you could create an encrypted file stream as a place to store files.

But local encryption in PHP is like tits on a bull, not much use. Since drupal will need the private key to encrypt/decrypt the file in the first place, and all the code is in plain text, and tools like drush make it easier than before to get the private key, or even just get drupal to decrypt it for you.

Gordon.