[support] simplenews: add multiple lists of nodes to a newsletter

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Wed May 16 17:56:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've just been working through the example here:

http://drupal.org/comment/reply/1492498

Which describes how to add site content to a simplenews newsletter using
entity reference, views bulk operations, and rules.

The problem I'm having is that this recipe only works for a single list
of nodes - I want to have two lists, with recent 'News Stories' shown
first, then  upcoming 'events'.

I'm thinking of doing it by chaining rules together, with the first rule
running when the newsletter is first saved. This would then pass the
newsletter nid to a view, which would generate a table of news stories,
and invoke another rule to add the stories to the newsletter. This would
finish with a page redirect to the events view, which would invoke a
final rule to add the events, and redirect back to the newsletter.

The problem I'm having is with how to pass the newsletter nid through
the different stages of the process. I was hoping there was an easy way
to pass the newsletter nid as an argument to a view, then use this as a
table field in the output (which would be the same for all rows). I
think this would solve the problem, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I'm using drupal 7 and views 3.

Thanks,

andy baxter