[support] Drupal 6 Menus don't work for me

John Summerfield summer at js.id.au
Wed May 23 03:54:46 UTC 2012

On 05/21/12 02:53, steeph wrote:
> On 05/20/2012 08:37 PM, John Summerfield wrote:
>> He was using rootcandy.
> He used rootcandy as an admin theme. This is only used for admin
> pages/paths. I don't know what theme it was with the menu, sorry.
>
>> However, I had a look at the data in the table menu_links and that does
>> make sense and looks wholly consistent with what I expect.
> I don't think there is something wrong with your database. You just

It seemed to me, and still does, that the menus are configured to
expand. I examined the data as a diagnostic technique, to see whether I
could believe they are expandable.

> don't have a drop-down menu ;) If your theme doesn't have this feature
> the easiest way to get it is probably to install a module like
> https://drupal.org/project/nice_menus.

Thanks for your efforts to help me. I was unwilling to believe that menu
functionality incorporated into base Drupal isn't actually usable with
any standard theme.

I happened to have a fresh virtual CentOS6 system to hand so I installed
the necessary software to run D6 and D7 and set up one of each with just
the base Drupal software, no additional modules and tested the menus.

In both cases, I can configure primary/main menus that are expandable,
but that do not expand.

The Mannelli theme does expand the menus on D7, but not on D6.

Eventually, I have taken your advice and installed nice_menus and it
does work nicely in the Navigation block.