[support] Cron and clearing caches to update field data..

Wipe_Out wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 2 11:11:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

Can someone explain what running the drupal cron job does and at what
intervals??

Here is the situation.. We are updating a particular field directly in the
database from another source.. This is working fine but the issue is that
the updated information doesn't show on the site straight away..

I have cron running every hour and have the cache lifetimes on the
performance page set to 10 min but even after waiting an hour and a cron
run the page still isn't always updated with the new value of the field..
Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't..

The only way I have found to "force" an update is to clear all the caches
but this seems like a massive overkill..

If I can find out when it will update on its own I can set the user
expectations so they know they have to wait that long for the data to be
updated..

Thanks for any information..