[support] Cron and clearing caches to update field data..

Wipe_Out wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 2 20:30:06 UTC 2012

On 2 October 2012 19:57, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Wipe_Out <wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net>
> wrote:
> > On 2 October 2012 17:59, Michael Prasuhn <mike at mikeyp.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> How are you updating the field?
> >> __________________
> >> Michael Prasuhn
> >> http://mikeyp.net
> >>

> > Directly in the database..
> >
> > I know its bad and it means none of the Drupal hooks run but its the only
> > way we could do this one particular update easily and in testing other
> than
> > it not displaying immediately it doesn't seem to have any adverse
> effects..
>
> By directly do you mean using SQL or node_load/node_save?  You should
> never use SQL to directly update the node.  You may programmatically
> update it using node_load, modify object parameter then follow with
> node_save.  This allows all the other node hooks to operate properly.
>
> --
> Earnie
> -- https://sites.google.com/site/earnieboyd

Yes I know but in this case we didn't have a choice so had to try it.. Its
just updating a datetime field with a new value.. The testing we did didn't
reveal any issues other than the fact that the cache needs to be cleared
for the new values to show in Drupal..

Originally we tried updating with a CSV through the feeds module but there
is a timezone bug in feeds that stops this working..