[support] Drupal 6 - strange menu related issue

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 8 11:59:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Karsai Balázs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to solve this problem for over a week now.
>
> I have a Drupal 6.19 company website, with 11 languages and over 1400 total
> links
> in the menu_links table. Whenever I try to add a link to primary links,
> Drupal starts to
> behave strangely: I cannot edit or add any nodes, with an error message
> "username admin
> does not exist" - But I have the admin user and I can login with it. If I
> then delete a menu
> item from primary links, everithing is back to normal. It seems somehow a
> limitation.
>
> Here's what I already did:
>
> Rebuilt permissions, deleted cache, forced rebuild of navigation links
> Checked menu_links table throughly, searching for ivalid items
> Deleted some orphan menu items that had no parents
> Corrected some menu items that were internal but somehow were flagged
> external in DB
> Made a local copy of the site: the issue is the same
> Updated Drupal 6.19 to 6.26
> Updated all modules to their latest version
> Tried to disable ALL modules except menu module: issue persists until I
> disable menu module too
> Checked that all items in menu_links appear in Drupal UI
> Increased PHP memory limit from 128MB to 256MB
>
> None of the above solved the problem. This issue only occurs with primary
> links. I can add menu items
> to secondary links without triggering this problem.

You didn't mention reviewing the system log files for PHP and httpd.
Also look at admin/reports/dblog to see if there is a relevant
message.

> I searched the web for a solution, but all I can find was a similar problem
> with no answers. I posted this
> question in the Drupal forum, Stackexchange and Stackoverflow but nobody
> could solve this problem.
>
> If there's anyone who can really help me with this, I'm gonna put him on a
> pedestal and worship his name...

Have you tried different browsers to see if the effect is the same?
I'm guessing you've overrun some environment related maximum of some
sort and the differing browsers makes no difference but finding which
one is going to be a pain.  Maybe the overrun is the file size or
column size depending on how you store sessions (file based versus db
based).

--
Earnie