[support] Spammers

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 30 23:17:21 UTC 2012

Still not a guarantee. There is no guarantee for stopping spam. Just ask
Google, Hotmail, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

One of the big things going on now is that companies are paying people
to create accounts. They also use proxies from computers infected with
viruses, which makes it extra hard to catch.

For one client, that has seen over 40,000 spam account in the past 2
months (we tried Mollom, Botcha, every Captcha method and Bad Behavior).
I have been trying numerous, custom modules and methods. I have one that
is working really well right now. I'm afraid to release it though, since
if the spammers get a hold of it then they can see the work around.

What you need to do is be very vigilant. Record the request headers and
look for things in there that might give it up. Try to limit the number
of registrations for a period of time for each IP. Block the countries,
if they are all coming from a certain one. Actually you can block the
registration page for those countries.

But, as I said in the beginning, there is not a fool-proof way. If
someone does come up with it, then their name would be about as common
as Bill Gates and their wallet close to the same size. The big companies
spend millions trying to fight spam accounts and are still losing out on
the battle.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net