[support] changing dtabase password question

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Sep 11 00:04:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> To: support at drupal.org
> From: Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [support] changing dtabase password question
>
> It should work.  Just be sure to make a backup first of the DB first.
> And before making the changes to settings.php, make sure you are
> logged in as user 1 and have the site in maintenance mode.  Change
> settings.php and clear the cache tables.

As long as you create a new user and a password first, and
make sure you give the new user the same MySQL privledges
as the current one, I cannot see any problems with doing
this. I have never had a need to do this though.

Just changing the password for the current user might be a
bit more tricky.

Once you have the new user account and password set up
correctly, then I'd follow Ernie's advice from thereon.

Kind Regards,

Keith

> Earnie
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Katie Legere <legerek at queensu.ca> wrote:
>> I want to change that main connection password to our drupal database (we've
>> had a potential security breach) without effecting the user experience in a
>> bad way.
>>
>> I know the connection is in settings.php and how to use phpMyAdmin, mysql
>> etc.
>>
>> My question is... can I just create a new user and password in phpMyAdmin
>> for my drupal database and then flip to that in my settings.php (during a
>> time I don't expect anyone using it) and expect that all will be well or is
>> there a better / safer process to follow? Has anyone done this?
>>
>> Katie
>>
>> --

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net