[support] Ten Commandments

Patrick Avella me at patrickavella.com
Thu Sep 20 16:00:39 UTC 2012

I'm not a fan of this list, and if someone tried to push that on me
here I'd be visibly upset. Some of the bullet points are good, maybe
even great but:

2.    No PHP nodes.
3.    No PHP blocks. (A sample block module is available.)
If I want to use PHP to insert a value into a link, I will, and see no
problem with that. This is left up to the developer, not all PHP code
needs to be in a module. PHP filter is part of core. When used
responsibly there is no reason to not use it if it fits
budget/time/needs.

4.    Minimize PHP in Views.
Depending on the scope of the project, this can't always be enforced.
Sometimes it's a lost more efficient to shove a little bit of PHP in a
view than to have to recreate the view (and lose its support) from
scratch in a module.

6.    Use Features for content types and views; and for other things
that lend themselves thereto. Commit these to Git repository.
I don't understand the love for features. It only supports "some"
important modules, and needs a host of other modules (UUID, strongarm)
before it starts to become actually useful. Bloat, bloat, bloat.

9.    CSS is your friend, use it before programmatic or theme styling
as much as possible.
No one is going to not tell me to not use the theme system. If I need
to rearrange elements or make theme level changes, I will do so, and
will not be told otherwise.

14. Links, including menus, should use relative URLs.
This makes no sense. All menu links in drupal are absolute (they start
at the domain root). It's a guideline where I work to never use
relative URLs for files because they are not easily moved to new
locations.

But I knew I wouldn't like this list as soon as I saw the word
"commandments". These guidelines sound like a lot of personal
preference, and not a lot of realistic "in the fox hole" programming.

Thanks,
Patrick Avella