[support] Ubercart - Commerce Migration

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:39:43 UTC 2012

I have a client with a D6 Ubercart 2 site. We are starting now to work
on the D7 upgrade. Most folks appear to favor Commerce over Ubercart
for D7, so (unless someone wants to say otherwise) we are going to
migrate to Commerce also.

I see the basic tool is
http://drupal.org/project/commerce_migrate_ubercart but the main
question I have is where exactly to start. Should we upgrade the site
to D7 and then run the migrator on the site itself? I don't think so.
Perhaps run it from a copy of itself?

Or upgrade to D7 and then run the migrator from the old D6 database?
Or perhaps upgrade the site and Ubercart to D7 and then run the
migrator from this Ubercart 3 database?

The site only has around 15 products, 500 customers and 1000 orders.

Second question is that is it really true that all the "buzz" is
around Commerce? I haven't yet had a chance to work with this, as the
only store I've done in D7 was in Ubercart, as that client insisted
upon it. I started poking around today and found this post:
http://www.drupalcommerce.org/discussions/4155/ga-ecommerce-tracking
that no one answered until I just made an account and answered myself!
The site I am migrating needs GA integration and also Donations like
Ubercart has.

I hope to have an opportunity to build a fresh site in Commerce before
the end of the year, to learn it a bit, before I must do this
migration. But I wanted to start now to learn about it.

So the issues I have are:

1. How to start the migration process
2. Donations appear to be doable via this recipe: http://tinyurl.com/cstwnbu
3. 2CheckOut has a module here
http://drupal.org/project/commerce_2checkout but it's still dev...
4. Paypal module is also just a RC1: http://drupal.org/project/commerce_paypal
5. Authorize.Net is dev: http://drupal.org/project/commerce_authnet
and says it's just a "proof-of-concept"

Those are the things I can think of now. Any feedback is appreciated.

I sort of wonder if it's really worth it to migrate. Perhaps Ubercart
3 *would* be OK. Ubercart 3 has 2CheckOut, PayPal and auth.net (I
think), donations ( http://drupal.org/project/uc_varprice ) and GA
integration.

Thanks,
Fred