[support] Fed up with Drupal 7 Fatal error: Desperately, need help

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Fri Apr 5 05:42:18 UTC 2013

Hi Idan
Thank you for jumping in, much appreciated.
In answer to your query, I have a series of bulletins in both pdf and
png named as  'Bulletin January 2010', 'Bulletin March 2010' through to
Bulletin January 2014. 3 per year, maximum of 150kb each.

I need to display all of the bulletins including future versions as png
images 350px x 500px approx., in chronological order on a bulletins
page. It's a sort of historical record, accessed by member log-in.
PDF display is not required.

I can create a view that displays all of the images in the /images
folder, including the Bulletins if they are in the images folder, and
not have memory issues but cannot get it to access or display images in
folders within the /images folder or folders outside the /images folder.

Strange thing is that - If I could create a new content type, I could
have a number of blocks on that content type page and display all the
bulletin images within those, - easy as, no brainer. But it's not
dynamic and has to be manually changed as new bulletins arrive.

The php Fatal memory issue is not related to the above.
Instead it relates to Drupal displaying the [Create Content Type]
Administration page and it is my feeling that Drupal devs could bite the
bullet and build in counter measures for this recurrent php fault. Like
reducing the memory requirement for  Creating Content Types, which after
all is just another creation page like creating new Taxonomy , Views,
Rules, People, Workbench, Blocks, etc but for some reason Create New
Content Type frightens php out of it's wits so it hides quivering under
the Fatal: bed.

As was pointed out  by John in reply #6 it's got to be a php problem due
to upgrading and seems to have been through previous upgrades judging by
the number of Google pages on the subject. I believe it has never been
attended to.
Yes I have set memory_limit in php.ini, and I have changed /settings.php
in Drupal and these seemed to solve the problem until my Fedora 18
upgraded php from 5.3 to 5.4 a week or so ago. So in deference, it is
not my machine or it's settings or the remote server but exclusively a
php dev testing failure prior to release.

I am looking into Centos 6.4 as was recommended by John but that's not
an immediate fix, 5-6 hours to download is beyond my internet capability.

Roger