[support] Fed up with Drupal 7 Fatal error: Desperately need help

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 5 15:44:51 UTC 2013

Memory limits of 128mb or more is not uncommon. It's even stated in the
online documentation:

A PHP memory limit of 32MB is the minimum requirement for Drupal 7 (16MB
for Drupal 6), and 64MB is recommended. Some sites may need more than
64MB if they are using certain contributed modules such as Views and
Panels. Memory limits of 128MB and higher are not unusual. There are
several techniques to increase the PHP memory limit and you only need to
use one of them. The right one for you depends on your system configuration.

http://drupal.org/node/207036

Views and Panels are heavy modules. That's the price we pay for the ease
in site building they provide. The other option is to not use them and
go with custom code to generate your content and displays. Any site I
build I evaluate what needs to be done and what will need to be done in
the future before installing Views and/or Panels. Of course that's not
an easy option for people not familiar with Drupal development.

As far as Views, it will get better in Drupal 8, since it is going into
core and will get a lot more attention from the development side as well
as tighter integration into Drupal overall.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net