[support] How do I allow viewing of certain user profile fields without allowing viewing of the user profile?

Steve Wickham steve at wickwoodonline.com
Thu Apr 11 00:53:21 UTC 2013

Hello and I hope someone can help me.

I have a situation where I need to allow 3 user profiles fields which are
computed from the values of other user profile fields to be viewable by
other anonymous and authenticated users.

To be more specific I have the computed fields Full Name, Public Phone, and
Public Email which are computed from the values of other profile fields and
only have values if the user checks the user profile field called "List in
Public Directory".

I have the field permissions module installed which allows the setting of
permissions by field, and I have set these 3 fields to be viewable
by  anonymous and authenticated users.

But no fields are viewable by other anonymous and authenticated users, even
the non-computed fields, unless I set the general permission of "View user
profiles" for those roles.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get around this? I'm also posting this
issue in the field permissions module issue queue, but I'm open to any
solution.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!
Steve