[support] images not showing

John Summerfield summer at js.id.au
Fri Apr 19 01:18:00 UTC 2013

On 19/04/13 00:58, Pia Oliver wrote:
>> On 18/04/13 00:34, Pia Oliver wrote:
>>>   I am adding some stuff, including Ubercart, to a site and have set it
>>>   up as a dev site at Hostgator. As soon as it's ready it will become
>>>   the "real live" site.
>>>
>>>   One issue I cannot figure out is why my images are not showing? I
>>>   need some help please.
>>>
>>>   The temp URL is "http://50.22.80.44/~pia/" to the site and the links
>>>   in the top menu work but not the bottom menu, nor do any of the, or
>>>   very few, of the images show. In .htaccess I have tried to uncomment
>>>   "RewriteBase" in several different ways but nothing helps. In
>>>   "settings.php" I have " $base_url = 'http://50.22.80.44/~pia';" and
>>>   have tried with this commented out also; no difference.
>>>
>>>   I  cannot find any other place where there is a system wide path or
>>>   setting? I have experimented with permission settings on the
>>>   "default" folder as well as the "settings.php" file; the settings.php
>>>   is 0000 and it will  not take any other. the "default" folder is
>>>   currently 744 ...
>>>
>>>   any ideas?
>>>
>>>   thanks,
>>>
>>>   Pia
>>>

>> I can see some images, but probably not user images - I see no cakes.
>>
>> The side behaves very oddly. I have a dual-monitor setup here, two HP
>> 24" screens, one in portrait orientation and the other landscape.
>>
>> Most of my work is on the vertical screen. At my default size, I got
>> just a bit of the "heaven sent" image on either size, menus top and
>> bottom, a location panel on viewer's left, inside but beside the heaven
>> sent image.
>>
>> I narrowed the window and the side images vanished, the location data
>> moved to a bigger panel on my right and lost its location and hours
>> headers. The top menu was redrawn on my left.
>
> Yes that is normal but when images don't show it looks strange; its
> for smaller screens like iPad and smartphones. But if you have a
> smartphone you are re-directed to a great smartphone site instead.

yeah, right. The old site.

My screen is 1280x800 if I recall correctly. Most times when sites give
me their "mobile version" I find it so <politically incorrect adjective
here> I then have to choose the desktop site. Wikipedia is one such.

>> Now, Pia, you are allowed to blush.
>>
>> The top menus work because they are relative to ~pia/. For example,
>> http://50.22.80.44/~pia/?q=our-menu
>>
>> The bottom menus don't work because they are absolute. For example,
>> http://50.22.80.44/our-menu
>>
>> It's that easy:-)
>
> But I still don't know how to fix it?? I don't understand why this
> happens. Hostgator gave me the IP address of the server, and then
> appends "~pia" so I can view the site and work on it. When it's done
> I am going to redirect the DNS servers to the Hostgator site, and you
> will then use the domain name to get to the site;
> www.HeavenSentDesserts.com. If you use it now it goes to the
> currently live site which will be abandoned once the Hostgator site
> is working.
>
> Since the same coding so to speak works fine on the currently live
> site why does it not work here? The files are all in same order and
> the paths are the same.

At the existing site everything is in the root directory _and_
associated explicitly with your domain name.

At ~pia neither of these is true, absolute URLs are associated with
their IP address, so your absolute URLs direct to another site.

How to fix it? Maybe a new domain name. dyndns has free ones, you could
maybe register pia.imageek.org or pia.merseine.nu and use that.
Hostigator would need to establish a site alias for you.

Note that cleanurls will not work with your current setup.

>> btw That facebook link wanders around depending on the width of the
>> display too. If you have an Android tablet (I am using an ASUS TF300T
>> with Android 4.2 and the chrome browser), you can see the problem. And
>> the tabled shows little markers where the images should be.
>>
>> I suspect Hostgator is doing its nasty 404 recovery and confusing the
>> matter.
>>
>> Does this look like a valid location for an image? It looks odd to me:
>> http://50.22.80.44/~pia/sites/default/files/styles/fullsize_slider_front/public/front-slider-images/FrontSliderChileCake.jpg?itok=sWYey6Go
>
> The path to that image is
> "http://50.22.80.44/~pia/sites/default/files/styles/fullsize_slider_front/public/front-slider-images/FrontSliderChileCake.jpg"
> - I don't know what the stuff with "?itok=sWYey6Go" is ...

Drupal seems to add something of that kind all the time. "?" is a
separator in URLs and used as arguments to scripts.