[support] "Editable Fields"

Chris Miller cjm at tryx.org
Mon Dec 9 16:46:50 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,

I have a content-type with a taxonomy. I want to display a view of content title and taxonomy in a grid. I want to display the taxonomy as a set of checkboxes so I can review all of the content and make global changes from just the one view. This raises the question about the difference between a field's display and edit characteristics.

If i want to display a node, I can call node_load() and so on... Suppose I want to display a node for edit? How does this internal processing differ, because obviously the result is substantially different. I suspect there is some magic that turns the page into a form, and that becomes the substance of my question. If I have a field, how to I change it from a "display" field to an editable "form" field?

To further qualify the question: I could easily create a custom formater and display the taxonomy field is a set of HTML checkboxes, but how do I discover these display characteristics, like label, colon and position; Alpha or numeric order; and then there are all the styling <div>s, which should be consistent with other fields on the page. These things are all specified in the original content type and I think I should make the effort to recognize and honor these choices, so I need to know how and where they are stored, and I don't currently know, but I think it is probably in the "page" ==> "form" magic.
--
Chris.