[support] Intranet

Dan Katz dan.katz at electricsage.com
Tue Feb 12 17:27:05 UTC 2013

Domain is probably a bad idea for an intranet, as it's likely that
there are significantly different business requirements from between a
public facing site and the intranet:

-different users
-different content
-different access controls

Domain module is great when you have multiple sites that need to share
some content, but for an intranet I would recommend a standalone
drupal instance or if that wasn't possible a multisite configuration
with your public facing site.

I've seen many intranets built on the organic groups solution
(http://drupal.org/project/og). Other than that, stick to the basic
Drupal building blocks - content types, views, blocks, etc... I like
context (http://drupal.org/project/context) for defining "landing
pages" and laying out your main pages.

Good luck!

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Earnie Boyd
<earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Maybe http://drupal.org/project/domain?
>
> Also go to http://drupal.org/project/modules and search for domain,
> there are quite a few modules.
>
> Earnie
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Rasmus Falkenberg <rf at humac.com> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have been told to establish a new intranet for the company that I work in
>> and since we already have Drupal running our website/online store I think it
>> would make sense to have it run the intranet as well.
>>
>> I have been researching the WWW and the Drupal community to find out how to
>> get started. Perhaps there is a suitable module for this that we can easily
>> add to a stand-alone Drupal installation and build from there?
>>
>> What is the most common way to get started with building an intranet in
>> Drupal?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Rasmus F.
>>
>> --