[support] Views Exposed Filter question

Warren Keuffel wkeuffel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 15:42:06 UTC 2013

I have a content type of Letter with fields for the body of the letter and the date the letter was written.

I've created a view of this content type sorted on the date and with filters set to published, the Letter content type, and the letter date. This view works great in displaying the letters in the order in which they were written.

My next refinement is to create an exposed filter which displays a scrolling list of the dates on which a letter was written, and only those dates, so that the user can scroll through valid dates (i.e., dates for which a letter exists) and select that letter to view.

My first attempt was to use a select date for the filter. This works, but it requires that the user know ahead of time what a valid date is for the letter. For my next attempt I installed the Better Exposed Filters module. This worked a little better because now the user can specify that they want to see a letter whose date is greater than the date input. Neither of these solutions provide me with a scrolling list of filtered values.

It is possible that my problem is one of nomenclature, i.e., not knowing what the Drupal term is for a scrolling list of filtered values.

Thanks for any advice and guidance.
Warren