[support] Time Zones

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Thu Feb 28 16:37:49 UTC 2013

Hmm... Well actually the strtotime function returns the current time in the "default" timezone by default.  The default timezone is not necessarily your php.ini file's timezone as it can be overridden with a call to the php function date_timezone_set.  Everyone have a headache yet?

The best way to determine which timezone is affected by strtotime() is to stick in a command like (assuming you have the devel module enabled): dsm(date_default_timezone_get());
On my drupal installation this does not return GMT number.  So what you want to do if you want GMT time is to append "GMT" to the time.

Check out the following code snippet:
  $output = '<pre>';
  $output .= date_default_timezone_get() . "\n";
  $output .= strtotime('January 1 1970 00:00:0'). "\n";
  $output .= strtotime('January 1 1970 GMT') . "\n";

  $output .= '</pre>';

On my box this returns.

America/Los_Angeles

28800