[support] Panels in Drupal 7 not displaying content, blocks, etc

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 24 03:15:28 UTC 2013

Panels in Drupal 7 not displaying content, blocks, I think I have solved
the dilemma and found some interesting theme info.

Content created  in blocks must be formatted in [Full HTML]
If in filtered or plain text, content will not display in any panel. Do
not know why, yet! Maybe someone can explain this!
Will work next with content in views content panes next.

Blocks are not 'enabled' in [Structure] [Blocks] of the theme - content,
header, footer or any active region, but should remain disabled. Panels
will see them.
Do not disable Drupal blocks in Panels.

I am using a basic zen starterkit theme with 2 Regions:
regions[page_top]       = Page top
regions[page_bottom]    = Page bottom
screenshot  = screenshot.png
name        = NEWS (Zen Sub-theme Starter Kit)
description = Basic zen starter kit with no extras.
core        = 7.x
base theme  = zen
stylesheets[all][] = css/styles.css
features[] = main_menu
features[] = secondary_menu

Panels seems to do the theme hard lifting.

If you create a [Structure] [Panels] [Panel page] or [Landing page] and
give it a url, that url will override the name of the directory. So you
can effectively have a number of landing pages and grant different user
access to each individually.
Example: I have a drupal install named /sandbox. My panels landing page
is /news.  localhost/news brings up the general landing page. Previously
I had localhost/sandbox/news. localhost/nsw brings up the nsw landing page.

Have not experimented with panels CSS yet.

With panels there seems no point in creating separate site pages, panels
does this.
Johan Falk of NodeOne described using panels to display articles and
other data on any page created in panels.

Hope this helps those who cannot get panels to display content.
Roger