[support] Switching domains but keeping the rest...

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Thu Oct 24 22:17:19 UTC 2013

That works by design, but don't forget to copy sites/default/files (or wherever your file system settings point to)  across to the new domain place as well.

Drupal has three parts that make up the site... the db, the code and the files.

If you have two domains pointing to the same database, then the sites will always be the same.  It would be better to make a copy of the database.  (You can usually do this in phpMYAdmin operations tab)... or alternatively you can use the backup_migrate module to make a copy of the DB.

NOTE: You may be in a situation that has every node being created in both domains.  I couldn't really tell if this is what you want... so I'd advise you to do some testing to that regard.

Dave