[support] Filling taxonomy fields

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Mon Sep 16 07:17:07 UTC 2013

I'm starting a new Drupal 7.23 site utilising pagemanager and panels,
following Johan Falk's 13 video tuts.
The site will be a rebuild of an existing live site but with a different
focus and will use much of the existing taxonomy data.
Taxonomy data is Books and Authors, Localities, Venues, Contacts, Quotes
and the like.
Current site is events based, new site will be newsletter based, events
data will be just one part thereof for inclusion in the news format but
the taxonomy data is needed for the newsletter items and to facilitate
events entry in a controlled format.

Is there any way:
  - I can copy the content of previous taxonomy field data over to a new
database table/field of the same name without manually cutting and
pasting each one?
  - To copy the date format settings over to the new?
My problem is much of the data is affected by workbench so I cannot
simply reuse the database because any data containing workbench
references will fail.

Backup and restore copies the workbench stuff so that's not helpful.
phpmyadmin will copy the right fields but these have workbench
references and cause errors in the new system.

I'd appreciate any help or advice on how to do this
thanks in advance
Roger