[support] Many false applications for accounts

MBR mbr at arlsoft.com
Sat Apr 5 16:58:04 UTC 2014

One other thing I forgot to mention about Honeypot - besides
implementing reverse-CAPTCHA, it also looks at how long it took from
when your server sent the HTML with the <form> and when the response
arrived.  A lot of the malware out there is too dumb to delay a few
seconds, so the malware sends its response faster than a human possibly
could.

What's worrisome is that these solutions are only temporary measures. I
can easily think of ways around both of these tests if I were writing
code for the bad guys.  So I expect that their programmers will
implement such workarounds in the near future. And at that point we'll
have no effective protection.

This is not just a Drupal problem - it affects every website regardless
of what technology it's built with. So, please put the word out to any
developers you know - we need to be dreaming up innovative ways of
distinguishing between software-generated responses and human-generated
start failing.

    Mark Rosenthal
    mbr at arlsoft.com