[support] Improving performance

Philip_Wetzel at nhd.uscourts.gov Philip_Wetzel at nhd.uscourts.gov
Fri Jan 3 14:57:22 UTC 2014

Hi Alison,
Please share what you find.   I have been intending to look into this
myself.
I'm concerned about the initial page load time on my site.  It seems pretty
slow.
Regards,
Phil

From:	Jamie Holly <hovercrafter at earthlink.net>
To:	support at drupal.org,
Date:	01/03/2014 09:31 AM
Subject:	Re: [support] Improving performance
Sent by:	support-bounces at drupal.org

The high performance group on drupal.org is really good:

https://groups.drupal.org/high-performance

The most common recipe is APC for opcode caching, memcache for object
caching and Drupal's database to cache the form table.

APC also offers object/user caching, but you do have to spend sometime
getting it tuned right so the memory does fragment. In one high
performance site I manage I use the same recipe as above, but I use APC
to handle page caching.

Of course all this varies greatly by site. Some sites are mostly
anonymous users, meaning page caching is the key, while others have a
heavy logged-in user base, so object caching becomes the big factor.

Also depending on how the site is built, there's other cache modules out
there that really help, like views cache, authcache and panels cache.

Jamie Holly
http://hollyit.net

On 1/3/2014 5:08 AM, Alison wrote:
> Hi Guys and Girls,
>
> can anyone recommend a good general discussion site or place where I can
read about Drupal caching. Currently running Memcache and APC -  the PHP
accelerator, but not sure whether there would be anything to gain by
implementing Drupals caching as well. Wouldn't mind finding some way of
measuring the effects of the various performance enhancements. Are there
any downsides to Memcache and APC?