[support] certain emails not being sent

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 9 00:50:29 UTC 2014

The first clue would be the emails that aren't being sent (or received).
Is there any pattern there, namely a certain domain? If so there's a
chance that your server is blacklisted by that email provider. This is
very common. If it's a dedicated server, you can look at your server's
mail log. Generally you'll see error codes of 550. Drupal won't know
about this, and report the email as sent without any problem (your
server had no problem, but the receiving server did. By that time
sendmail has already sent a passed response back to PHP).

Like I said, this is very common. The only real fix is to find the
problem email servers in your mail log then check their sites for how to
get removed from the blacklist. AOL is one in particular that can be a
pain, and they commonly blacklist IP's they don't know. Whenever I set
up a new dedicated server for a client, I always account for this when
giving an estimate. It's just that common!

The other option is to use a separate email service for your domain,
like Google Apps. Then you can use the SMTP module to send all emails
and not have to worry about all this stuff.

Jamie Holly
http://hollyit.net