[support] Side effects/behaviour of overlay-child.js (with Selenium IDE)

Peter Kehl peter.kehl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 07:31:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm writing a test script in Selenium IDE 2.5.0 (Firefox 26) for an
out-of-the-box Drupal 7.24 (on Fedora 20). The script logs in as an admin.
Then it clicks at 'People' tab. The tab (a page, actually) loads up well (
http://localhost/drupal7/?q=admin%2Fpeople&); however, Selenium IDE can't
detect it as loaded (and Selenium times out).

If I disable usage of 'overlay-child.js' in overlay_library() in
/usr/share/drupal7/modules/overlay/overlay.module, then the problem
disappears. The page loads up and gets detected as such, too.

I'm new to Drupal. Could someone explain in Javascript/HTML terms (not in
advanced JQuery) what overlay-child.js does, and how that could cause a
problem, please?

I'm asking you first rather than Selenium people, because Selenium is quite
application-neutral and such problem are rarely caused on its side. It's
quite difficult to reproduce this without installing Drupal.

I've looked at
https://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/modules!overlay!overlay.api.php/function/hook_overlay_child_initialize/7and
at source of overlay.module, but it's not obvious to me. It seems to
me
that clicking at  'People' tab doesn't need overlays.

Just in case you use Selenium IDE, the script is very simple:
-- be logged in as an admin
open | http://localhost/drupal7/
clickAndWait | id=toolbar-link-admin-people

Thank you in advance,

-Peter