[support] Drupal AMIs?

Ari Davidow aridavidow at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 18:35:33 UTC 2014

I am trying to think of an easy way to introduce an online "Enterprise
Content Management" class to Drupal. In the past, we have simply encouraged
people to grab the "Using Drupal" book and install stuff locally. It occurs
to me that in an age when we increasingly divide our time among multiple
devices, it may be saner to simply open a free AWS account (1 year free,
using microi servers, etc., to explore AWS), but if I send students to AWS,
I either need to set them up with an appropriate LAMP/WAMP environment,
and/or an AMI which already comes with, say, LAMP, Drupal, and Drush (to
keep everything current).

Is anyone using such a setup? Are there public AMIs I should take a look
with? (They have to work with the AWS "free" setup, which, I believe, means
that the AMI can't be tied to EBS, but I could be wrong.)

Thanks,
ari