[support] Tightening up reCaptcha and Honeypot

Walt Daniels wdlists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 18:43:50 UTC 2014

I use Mollom and see 1-10 a week, but they are all legitimate in the sense
that some real person actually went through the process of registering,
even verifying their email address by clicking on a link sent to them. They
then may proceed to spam comments. If I look at their registration pages
they have even bothered filling in some of the name and address fields. We
are a regional org so address outside NY of NJ are rare but they are from
everywhere. There is no way short of inspecting every registrant's info to
guess their intentions (good or bad) until they prove who they are by
spamming. We do have a special state called registering that new
registrants are in until they verify their email. They have no more access
than anonymous until they verify so they can't spam as anonymous cannot
post anything on the site. Of course if you want to buy something from the
store or pay dues, then you are registered with no hassle. We have not seen
anyone take this route to get access.