[support] support Digest, Vol 142, Issue 4

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Wed Oct 29 09:26:44 UTC 2014

Hi Ahilan
We had similar in Drupal 6 and early and recent Drupal 7 with one ISP.
The attacks seemed to be because root access to cPanel or through ssd
terminal access was obtained permitting a hacker into the whole Drupal
system. Any passwords typed in manually are very vulnerable.

User name and passwords are easy to grab on the internet and ISPs can be
lax while professing top level security.
Very long convoluted user names and passwords, very difficult to type
manually need to be copy and pasted. This has given us a modicome of
security to date.
Users scream about having to copy and paste but it was easier for them
to learn copy and paste than take the chance on bog awful passwords
especially isp root/admin passwords. Our server admin access words are
voluminous, convoluted and difficult to type accurately.

May I suggest,  keep a zipped copy of /sites folder and the database sql
file in a /home/Backups directory, out of the /public_html directory
system and do a new version of both once a month so at worst you only
lose 1 month of data.

You can also create an entirely new Drupal install by installing the
latest Drupal 7, rename it's /sites folder and copy the
/home/Backup/sites.zip to the new drupal and extract it. Your new Drupal
will be instantly useable and you can inspect the previous version code
as you wish after you rename the /sites folder to make it unavailable.

We always have 2 Drupal installs on the system both with the same /sites
folder but the second newer one is named something totally unrelated and
meaningless and the sites folder also renamed to something meaningless
so the fresh drupal site fails to serve until I allow it. I simply
rename the original and change the fresh install and it's /sites folder
to the original name to run the latest drupal.

Hope this helps
Roger