[support] Upgrade Drupal 6 to 7 with drush (and drush_sup) within a multisite setup

Thorsten Göllner tg at ovm-group.com
Thu Feb 19 11:12:39 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I am using a Drupal 6-Multisite-Setup (shared code but each domain has
it's own database). I managed to update to the newest versions (core and
modules) with the help of drush. So far so good.

Now I want to upgrade to Drupal 7 with drush an drush_sup. I read all
docs I found but the upgrade process breaks. I did the following:

1) I installed newest drush via pear. drush version is 6.2.0.

2) I installed drush_sup:
cd  ~ ; drush dl drush_sup

3) I made a backup of my complete environment to a development server. I
tested the backuped site - works fine.

4) I created drushrc.php to configure the strict option:
<?php $options['strict'] = 0; ?>
(to ship around the --uninstall - error when disabling modules).

5) I created aliases for my sites:
<?php

$aliases['dev'] = array(
  'root' => '/var/www/drupal7',
  'uri' => 'http://d7.mydomain.com',
  'databases' =>
      array (
        'default' =>
        array (
          'default' =>
          array (
            'driver' => 'mysql',
            'username' => 'drupal',
            'password' => 'pwd',
            'port' => '',
            'host' => 'localhost',
            'database' => 'd7_mydomain_com',
          ),
       ),
     ),
);

$aliases['prod'] = array(
  'root' => '/var/www/drupal6',
  'uri' => 'http://d6.mydomain.com',
  'db_url' => 'mysqli://drupal:pwd@localhost/mydomain_com',
);

?>

6) I start the upgrade process:
cd /var/www/drupal6/sites/d6.mydomain.com
drush site-upgrade @dev

After a while the upgrade process stops at Step 12-a with the following
error:

Command updatedb needs a higher bootstrap level to run - you will need
to invoke drush from a more functional Drupal environment to run this
command.
[error]
The drush command 'updatedb' could not be executed.
[error]
Could not find a Drupal settings.php file at sites/default/settings.php.
[error]
updatedb failed for core
[error]

At this point a do not understand what the problem is because the
following commands work fine:

(old D6-Installation)
cd /var/www/drupal6/sites/d6.mydomain.com
drush updatedb

(new created D7-Installation by upgrade process)
cd /var/www/drupal7/sites/d6.mydomain.com
drush updatedb

BUT the upgrade-module seems to execute the command in the
default-directory (which does not make sense in a multisite-environment).

Do I make a mistake? Do I have to add any parameter to the upgrade
process for multisite-environments?

Beste regards
-Thorsten-