[support] Using memcached and xcache on a virtual host box that suports 4 Drupal websites.

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Jan 11 15:58:23 UTC 2015

Thank you!!

On 2015-01-11 07:56, Jamie Holly wrote:
> I handle servers for numerous clients running multiple sites and
> versions of Drupal in VHosts on the same server and it works fine. The
> only thing to keep in mind with memcache is that it is shared, so it's
> best to actually start a different memcache instance per site, just
> using different ports. You can prefix memcache in settings.php, but the
> problem there is that a cache clear will clear everything, just not the
> prefixes.

Ok, makes sense.

> If your running PHP5.5+, then instead of using XCache, I would use the
> Zend Optimizer that ships with PHP5.5+. Performance wise, it's even
> better than XCache. Generally my go to stack is Nginx + PHP w/APC (Zend
> if running 5.5+) + Memcached. WIth that on one client's site, which
> sees
> over 60,000 pv/hour at peak and over 70 modules (plus being very views
> and panels heavy), even as user 1 I still get load times around 300ms.

What kind of hardware are you running that 60,000 pv/hour site on?

I'm running CentOS 7 that is running PHP 5.4  I may try Nginx.  I was
told FastCGI will give the same effect.

Ok,  Just to double check, I should be fine running multiple Drupal
websites in a vhost configuration and use Memcached + Nginx + APC to
bust performance.

Thanks!!

--
Keith Smith