[themes] CSTheme - What to do, How to proceed?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Tue Dec 6 14:00:25 UTC 2005

Op maandag 05 december 2005 19:08, schreef Trae McCombs:
> Wow, this weighted idea is a really good one.
>
> Rowan Kerr wrote:
> > If it were possible for CSTheme to expose its own settings somewhere
> > in /admin/themes/settings, then the different regions of the page
> > could be standardized and also given a weight (to be consistent with
> > how blocks are arranged in the sidebars).
> >
> > Something like:
> > HEADING: weight = -3
> > NAVIGATION: weight = -2
> > SIDEBAR LEFT: weight = -1
> > CONTENT: weight = 0
> > SIDEBAR RIGHT: weight = 1
> > FOOTER: weight = 10

I really dislike this idea. Layouting anything trough a webinterface is just,
well, cr at p.
Something like this should be done with CSS. And changing any CSS will break
the webinterface. And changing any weight in the webinterface will break your
CSS.

I know, I know, there are people that dont know CSS, but they will only be
more frustrated if the weighting breaks the layout they had in mind.

Besides all this, we can already weight any block in any region. Son
introducing this, would give us a weighting in a weighting, on top of a CSS
layout. Rather complex, and IMHO impossible to make a proper UI for.

My advice: provide some nice style.css files that change the layout (which is
not the same as the design),

Bèr