[themes] Some theme proposals for SEO

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Tue Dec 13 16:29:17 UTC 2005

One of the websites I developed has a reasonably strong presence on
Google News. However, many, if not most, of the links Google has are
titled "Add New Comment". I wondered why, and came to the conclusion
that google is reading the "links" tags that contain that link as
containing the permalink.

So I have changed that class tag to "action". While I was at it, I also
changed the title tags to h1.

I will watch over the coming week how Google News reads the content with
these changes, and report my results here. But I think that SEO is
something that is worthwhile for consideration as an ongoing theme
development topic.

Already Drupal sites do quite well. On regular Google search, sites seem
rather well optimized. But these anamolies, such as with Google News,
point to areas where we might look to improve.

Does anyone else have thoughts or experiences on SEO, and how we all
might modify existing themes and alter approaches to future themes?

Laura

--
pingVision <http://www.pingv.com> | interactive media design
*Laura Scott*, President