[themes] Re: Rapid Theme Development was: Re: [development] Administration Survey: Theme improvements, theme help system, theme mailing list

Trae McCombs occy at occy.net
Tue Dec 13 20:36:15 UTC 2005

  /msg liza that $50 buck check is in the mail...

ooops. :)

Is this stuff hard?  Yes, CSS is a PITA.  But... I think half the time
we (themers) have to fight the structure of the html 2 or 3 or 10 times
in a battle of a theme because you are constantly pushing and pulling
elements here and there.  (I'm in a heated battle right now with
@#%!$%#%#$%#@$%#$% forms, labels and crap  ugh)

It probably doesn't help me to reply to these things when I'm super
frustrated while working on themeing design.

It's too bad we can't get 2 or 3 people employed full-time to sit down
and sort these issues (with the support of the community and feedback of
course)  The problem is, between trying to make money to feed your
family, and working on Drupal community issues, it's easy to just work
with what we have and push the other things back.

I have no idea what I'm saying right now...

Am I the best CSS person on the planet?  No.  Do I have a full clue?
No.  Am I 100% certified in all proper CSS technichs and whatever?  No.
  But, and here is the sad thing, I feel I know probably more CSS than
95% of the people out there.  (And when it comes to doing this stuff, a
lot of time it's just hit and miss on getting things done correctly)

Sure, I know CSS well enough now to narrow things down to a very close
scope to work on.  But what happens, and what I keep finding is the
problem is... it's like pulling cards from the bottom of a house of
cards.  You gotta be danged careful, or the whole thing will come
crashing down on you.  That's not the right analogy... :/  More like,
pull here or push there and it effects something somewhere totally
unexpected.  ie. some module or some table or some thing somewhere else
that it was unintended to mess with.

Someone give me a cup of happy happy joy juice!
Trae

Trae "occy" McCombs || http://occy.net/
       Founder - Themes.org // Linux.com
     CivicSpaceLabs - http://civicspacelabs.org/