[themes] So what about a super theme?

Gunnar Langemark gunnar at langemark.com
Mon Jan 2 21:45:10 UTC 2006

I dream of this super theme with extensive configuration capabilities.

It would be a theme AND an admin module actually, and it would work like
a theme generator.
You would have color-schemes, layouts, content areas etc.

For instance you would have a configuration of the color-scheme or
palette, which would give you a number of choices: select a predefined
(ten schemes provided with the theme default), download a shared scheme
(via an xml-feed?) from a theme provider site, create your own
interactively (perhaps like this:
http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html), and perhaps then share them.
(Ajax anyone?)

You would have an area in which to layout blocks of content
interactively by adding, dragging and dropping (colored) squares in a
screen area simulating the browser window. When clicking on a square you
would be prompted to ad content - a node, a node type, a taxonomy term etc.
These layouts could be shared too - via xml, and there would be a few
(10) presets in the default super theme, and you could run a service
providing your own layout templates.

There would be no practical limits to where you could put what content,
and it would be possible to define areas on your site with a certain
layout.

Is anybody else dreaming of such a super theme? I think there could even
be a business model in this?
I know Drupal is capable of doing some of this. I just think all Drupal
users should have a "theme generator" module, and I'd like it to be
interactive and Ajax'ed somehow.

Best
Gunnar