[themes] WP theme directory

Nick Lewis nick at nicklewis.org
Mon Jun 19 20:07:14 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> http://photomatt.net/2006/06/19/wp-themes/
Is your message one of inspiration, or one of suggestion?
if ($message == "suggestion") {

It seems to me that with a quick custom template, and some CSS handiwork
this page:

http://themes.drupal.org/themeswitcher

could be transformed into something that looked more like a photo
gallery. Screenshots would have to be normalized -- fairly simple...
(e.g  img.theme-screenshot {width:250px;} ).We could fit a lot more
screenshots onto one page if we reduced the size of screenshots, and
floated container divs into rows. Each thumbnail could have a "switch
theme", "download", "support" link. I think it would be a 2 hour job.
But I'd need to get the database, and codebase onto my local machine in
order to be sure. ;-)

Features like comments, and voting are nice. However, there's an
inherent difficulty in converting a theme switching module into a node.
Really, I think that voting and comments could wait. What's REALLY
important is creating a better interface for people to browse through
themes.

}
else if ($message == "inspiration") {
Eh... drupal's a totally different beast from a design perspective --
wordpress themes are "blog skins". A good drupal themes need to be
extremely flexible, multi-layered, monsters. There's just so many
aspects to theme. Some better design inspiration (imho) is found in the
following links:

Inspiration for theme parts (this is very relevent for drupal themers):

1. A gallery of comment styles:
http://www.smileycat.com/miaow/archives/comment-showcase.html
2. A gallery of heading typography:
http://www.smileycat.com/miaow/archives/typography-for-headlines.html
3. A gallery of CSS table design:
http://icant.co.uk/csstablegallery/index.php
4. A gallery of navigation menus:
http://www.alvit.de/css-showcase/css-galleries-tabs-navigation-showcase.php
5. the famous "listamatic" gallery: http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

Full design Inspiration (personal favorites::

1. http://www.cssbeauty.com/gallery/
2. http://cssvault.com/
3. http://www.cssreboot.com/?order=total_score_desc&count=54&page=1
4. http://www.unmatchedstyle.com/
}
else {
Well, sometimes I just like hearing myself talk.
}

Onward,
Nick Lewis
http://www.nicklewis.org