[themes] shortcut for phptemplate variable printouts

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Jun 23 17:20:48 UTC 2006

> BEFORE:
> <?php print $content ?>
> <?php print $sidebar_left ?>
>
> AFTER:
> {$content}
> {$sidebar_left}

I, personally, see no rationale in a theming markup language. There is
very little point in saying "I know you don't understand { or } but use
it to encase this dollar-sign word" when the exact same mentality is
required for "I know you don't understand <?php print or ?> but use it
to encase this dollar-sign word".

For the same reason, I have similar complaints about wiki markup
(memorize _ as opposed to the far more useful everywhere <em>) and
bbcode systems (memorize [url=][/url] as opposed to the far more useful
everywhere <a href=></a>).

If we're going to force people to memorize something, let's force them
to memorize something *useful* and which has a semblance of repeat
knowledge and value at other sites and software they may use.

--
Morbus Iff ( if i could change the future, i'd change the past instead )